Harry Potter A New Fate Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harry Potter A New Fate Forums

The public forums for HPANF.

+6
Jace
Skystone
Vsevolod
Link
Monty2
Lavitiz
10 posters

Server Status

Lavitiz
    Lavitiz
    Developer
    Developer

Server Status Empty Server Status

Post  Lavitiz Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:55 pm

Alright, so from what I hear many of you want to know what's happening to HPANF.

I was initially going to drop the server due to lack of time on my part. I don't have time at this moment to produce lots of updates on a regular basis, and was considering stopping the server. That is why the server is offline. I've kind of been thinking about it.

Then, I decided that you guys had a say so in this, so, I'm bringing the dilemma to the table.

Do you want the server to stay online EVEN if I cannot produce updates on a regular basis? Most of the things in-game would require me to have staff handle them since I won't be around. I'll of course be on the forums here and there so I can do emergency patches if they are ever needed, and to handle disputes from within the server.

The big question: Do I keep the server online and have staff run it for me with very few updates until I find time? Or should I bring the server down until I find time to continue the game?

The only requirement I'd have with the server staying online while I'm busy is that we have players playing, and we have people who can take the staff position. This also means that we do not have just any players willing to do it, but ones that are deemed fit for the job.

Let me know what you guys think, and be sure to alert other active players you're in touch with to leave feedback here.

I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas with your families.
    Monty2
    Monty2
    1st Year
    1st Year

Server Status Empty Re: Server Status

Post  Monty2 Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:03 pm

A third suggestion:
    Why have a full time server if you don't know whether or not players will play? You should leave it up to the players and they can play whenever they want. I once had a friend facing a similar dilemma. He put up the host files for download on the hub just in case anyone ever wanted to play and the host would be given minimal admin verbs. It worked surprisingly well. If the hosts are abusive/morons then just open up a new server. Nothing could be tampered with and my friend could just update the hub files when needed. It sounds like a risky idea at first, I know. But just think about it.
    Lavitiz
    Lavitiz
    Developer
    Developer

Post  Lavitiz Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:13 pm

I could easily do that, and revoke a hosts rights at any given time using my server authentication system.

The problem is that everyone would want their own server, abuse would be an issue and I can't moderate all servers to stop the abuse. It would put more work on me, and the goal is to reduce the work I have to put in at this current time.

It would be easiest if I find a dedicated host(I think Demonic will still do this) and then hire people specific to that server.

At this time I only know of one person outside of the development team that'll have admin functions. Of course I'd still have to go in and show her how things are done.

I don't think throwing the host files online would make things easier.
    Link
    1st Year
    1st Year

Post  Link Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:19 am

I think you'd lose players in the long-run. Everyone might be like "omg yes put server online with no updates" but eventually it'll get boring and die, most likely as soon as everyone hits level 100000000 and decides it's no longer fun.

Can't we leave someone in charge who can continue the updates (Rotem)? Then you could just create a "Submit Your Pixelz!" board on the forum and have the players make new icons for you, I've seen a few games get by like that.

I just think the game would be better off if we just continued development SOMEHOW.
    Vsevolod
    Vsevolod
    3rd Year
    3rd Year

Server Status Empty I think...

Post  Vsevolod Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:09 am

I love celebrating New Year in my favourite games. And one of my favorites is Harry Potter: A New Fate, so I thinkk it'd be better if server is on.

It'll still be pitty that we won't have snow in the game. Sad
    Skystone
    Skystone
    3rd Year
    3rd Year

Post  Skystone Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:52 pm

It depends on what the recent updates will be about. If it's an items update or something like a dueling rank update, I would say that you should see what happens and keep the server on (I think the game would be able to live without you for that Wink ). If it's just bug fixes (and I mean ONLY bug fixes), well that's good too but don't count on many people showing just for that.

An Icon/Mapper showcase would also be nice to people who want to help the game with icons/maps.

I'm glad to see that HPANF is not "Dead". Razz

Hope you had a merry Christmas Lav Very Happy

P.S. Me Want Scrolls!!!

Last edited by Skystone on Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Jace
    1st Year
    1st Year

Post  Jace Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:41 pm

I guess my question is... Realistically, do you really think you will have time in the future to update? and if so when?

There are obviously many more important things in life than updating a byond game so I completely respect the decision. If you think you need a month or two to get back into it then I think its not a big deal to leave it, but if its going to be a year then maybe it should be taken down.

I strongly agree with Link that it would be nice if there was some group of people to update. Rotem/Dem/Sev, whoever might have some time to add new locations or small items. Because the player base is so small I think it would be good to allow players to have more admin functions like start up a capture the flag game, teach each other spells etc. This way the players can almost run the game themselves.

I think being open to players being more involved in development, would allow the game to at least grow and change, keeping people interested. If players are willing to code or create stuff, then it might not be bad to just add it for now. No one will be offended if you remove it a year from now and replace it with something better.
    Skystone
    Skystone
    3rd Year
    3rd Year

Post  Skystone Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:58 pm

Jace wrote: No one will be offended if you remove it a year from now and replace it with something better.

Couldn't say it better myself.
    Lavitiz
    Lavitiz
    Developer
    Developer

Post  Lavitiz Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:35 am

The only people that would directly interact with the projects source is Rotem, Demonic and myself. So, if they chose to keep producing updates they could.

However, I know Rotem is very busy now and Justin isn't a programmer. He can do little things if they're needed, but his area of expertise lies with pixel art.

I'm not sure how often stuff would be produced by my hand, I'm still trying to figure it out. It wouldn't be something that lasts more than a year, but the time I'd be focusing on other things could be short or kinda lengthy.

The last thing I was working on was Dynamic Lighting using Forum Accounts library, but I've encountered a few problems that I don't know how to resolve. I think Rotem came up with a solution, but that would require us to remove all opacity on all atoms, which isn't something I'd like to do. If all fails, I'd have to recreate the old lighting system. Which needed to be done pretty badly in the first place. This wouldn't take an extreme amount of time, but would require me to program it all from scratch. I can't release anymore updates until I do one of those things.

Link, you leave me with that one concern. Depending on how things go, it could be better to take the server down until I have time. Players on a server for ages while I'm not programming could make the little content there is boring and no longer of interest. If no one is working on it, it would probably be best for the future of the server if it went offline. That way we have a small playerbase excited and ready for it when the time comes.
    FionaTheHuman
    FionaTheHuman
    2nd Year
    2nd Year

Post  FionaTheHuman Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:42 am

I wouldn't mind if it were up c:, the community is really what makes the games^_^
    Vsevolod
    Vsevolod
    3rd Year
    3rd Year

Post  Vsevolod Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:45 am

Lavitiz, maybe it depends on what days you'll be off?
    But anyway I think it would be bad if the server won't be up.
    Jace
    1st Year
    1st Year

Post  Jace Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:36 am

So based on what you said I'm assuming you are not willing to have the player base contribute to the development and GM functions of the game. I think that will really leave players with nothing to do.

If the game sits unchanged or you shut it down for a long time, I think either way the small player base will die out.
    Maybe it would be best for the future if the server was shutdown and came back when it was further along in development.
    Skystone
    Skystone
    3rd Year
    3rd Year

Post  Skystone Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:32 am

If you guys release a good update that provides enough content to keep people busy then keep the servers up. An update like scrolls and items will allow player-owned shops to form and maybe newspapers. An update on dueling ranks will allow players to compete against each other. It all depends on what kind of update you put in. An update on Quidditch is good, but it doesn't get people motivated as much as some other things like items or new dungeons.

Unless it's taken seriously...
    Lavitiz
    Lavitiz
    Developer
    Developer

Post  Lavitiz Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:33 pm

Jace wrote:So based on what you said I'm assuming you are not willing to have the player base contribute to the development and GM functions of the game. I think that will really leave players with nothing to do.

It would be absolutely insane to release the source to any one of the current active players. The only thing that I'd allow is Pixel Art contributions, which of course gets checked over by Demonic.
    FionaTheHuman
    FionaTheHuman
    2nd Year
    2nd Year

Post  FionaTheHuman Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:32 pm

I think if a simple clan system was thrown in(Maybe not so much DE and stuff just yet), it would give the players something to do, battle for supremacy! x3
    Vsevolod
    Vsevolod
    3rd Year
    3rd Year

Post  Vsevolod Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:47 pm

FionaTheHuman wrote:I think if a simple clan system was thrown in(Maybe not so much DE and stuff just yet), it would give the players something to do, battle for supremacy! x3
    Hero, you better practice first! Laughing
    Lavitiz
    Lavitiz
    Developer
    Developer

Post  Lavitiz Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:51 pm

The best I can do is try. So, I'll do just that.

I'll try and get the server up, but since Dynamic Lighting is a bust for now, I need to reprogram the day and night cycles first. Eventually I can make it more advanced, but for now I need to make changes there.

I'll keep you all posted. Hopefully soon~
    Jace
    1st Year
    1st Year

Post  Jace Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:08 pm

Lavitiz wrote:It would be absolutely insane to release the source to any one of the current active players. The only thing that I'd allow is Pixel Art contributions, which of course gets checked over by Demonic.

Oh i'm definitely not suggesting you release the source to anyone. I was thinking if a player like Link, with coding experience, codes a scarf that can be worn by players. Then he could send that to Demonic who could incorporate it into the game. I also don't have any byond coding experience so I don't know how easy it is to do things like that.
    Vsevolod
    Vsevolod
    3rd Year
    3rd Year

Post  Vsevolod Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:29 pm

Jace wrote:
    Lavitiz wrote:It would be absolutely insane to release the source to any one of the current active players. The only thing that I'd allow is Pixel Art contributions, which of course gets checked over by Demonic.

I also don't have any byond coding experience so I don't know how easy it is to do things like that.

Oh! No wonder you don't! I suppose you don't have ANY experience at all! You're Tiny, the one thing of your experience is to insult parents. Twisted Evil
    Lavitiz
    Lavitiz
    Developer
    Developer

Post  Lavitiz Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:04 pm

Jace wrote:

Oh i'm definitely not suggesting you release the source to anyone. I was thinking if a player like Link, with coding experience, codes a scarf that can be worn by players. Then he could send that to Demonic who could incorporate it into the game. I also don't have any byond coding experience so I don't know how easy it is to do things like that.

That could work, except the fact that the way we've decided to program both spells and objects to work with the hotkeys. It would require me to show how we've done it, and then explain how it all works and why. I mean, I think it would just be fastest if stuff was submitted to us.

That in mind I've already began working on an update. As soon as it is done I'll have the server go up.
    Lojack
    1st Year
    1st Year

Post  Lojack Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:28 pm

Hey there.

I'm new to this game and really had a good impression about it.
    If it counts as something, I'd really enjoy if it was maintained online Razz Played a plenty of games whose creatores had the same problem and that found out the same solution (which resulted in no problems)

Hope the server stays online.

I'd be glad to help if you need any at arthurlorente<at>gmail.com
    Lavitiz
    Lavitiz
    Developer
    Developer

Post  Lavitiz Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:05 pm

The server will stay, don't worry.

It's nice to have you, and I hope you enjoy your stay. All suggestions posted on these forums are reviewed with care, considering each request individually.

Let us know if you need any help.
    Vsevolod
    Vsevolod
    3rd Year
    3rd Year

Post  Vsevolod Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:01 am

What happened with the server?
    I want to play!

Vsevolod
    Vsevolod
    3rd Year
    3rd Year

Post  Vsevolod Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:41 am

Well it is now like when there is no one speaking!!!!!!!!
    Vsevolod
    Vsevolod
    3rd Year
    3rd Year

Post  Vsevolod Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:16 am

Game's dead.
    Goodbye to you all.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 11:10 pm