Harry Potter A New Fate Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harry Potter A New Fate Forums

The public forums for HPANF.

4 posters

How To Create Macros

Sev
    Sev
    1st Year
    1st Year

How To Create Macros Empty How To Create Macros

Post  Sev Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:28 pm

How To Create Macros
    by Severus

This is a guide on how to make macros. Though, firstly, allow me to explain what a 'macro' is exactly:
    A macro is basically a shortcut for verbs in the game. So, instead of having to always click on your spells or click 'Read' from the commands tab, you can just hold a key of your choice and enjoy.

How to create macros:

1. Open up Harry Potter: A New Fate
    2. Go to "File > Options and Messages" (alternatively you can press F1). A new window will appear.
    3. In the new window, go to "Client > Macros..." A new window will appear again.
    4. The first sentence in the window gives you the option to use the same macros for HP: ANF and other games. This option is up to you whether you want the same macros for other games too.
    5. Click on "New Macro" button at the bottom of your Macro window.

Your screen should now look something like this:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Now it's time to actually create your macro.

"Key" means the keyboard key which you will use as your shortcut. E.g. for Reading Books, you may want your shortcut key to be R. Click "Find Key" and simply type the key that you wish to use.

"Command" is the actual command from the game - so, the command of reading, the command of casting a spell, the command of catching a snitch, etc. These commands will make sense you to the more experience you gain of the game and future macro-making. Some useful commands are:

Read-Book
    Cast Incendio
    Catch

Spells are done in a different manner; there is spacing between the verb and the action instead of a dash (-). When macroing spells with more than one word (i.e. Avada Kedavra), you would use a space instead of a dash again, e.g.:
    Cast Avada Kedavra

The above 3 (respectively) is for reading books, casting incendio and catching a snitch. You can ask in-game from other players or staff if you are unsure of the command for a certain macro.
    For now, you can ignore the "Use With" and "ID" options.
    Once you're done, press "Ok" in your New Macro. Then on the main Macro window press "Ok" and your macros should work.

If you have any problems or any queries please ask me or another member of staff in-game.

I hope this has helped,

Sev

Edit (11.28.12) - clarified that there is spacing between spell macros instead of a dash; i.e. Cast Petrificus Totalus instead of Petrificus-Totalus

Last edited by Sev on Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:57 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Removed the "-" from the all spell macros.)
    Lavitiz
    Lavitiz
    Developer
    Developer

How To Create Macros Empty Re: How To Create Macros

Post  Lavitiz Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:21 pm

Nice Guide, Severus.

You should probably explain how spell macros work though, since they do not work like normal spell macros.
    FionaTheHuman
    FionaTheHuman
    2nd Year
    2nd Year

Post  FionaTheHuman Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:30 pm

I understand macro's... but the imagine you posted up can only be seen by admins xp
    Lavitiz
    Lavitiz
    Developer
    Developer

Post  Lavitiz Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:46 am

FionaTheHuman wrote:I understand macro's... but the imagine you posted up can only be seen by admins xp
    What? Surprised
    Skystone
    Skystone
    3rd Year
    3rd Year

Post  Skystone Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:05 am

She accidentally said imagine, she meant image.
    Lavitiz
    Lavitiz
    Developer
    Developer

Post  Lavitiz Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:01 pm

Skystone wrote:She accidentally said imagine, she meant image.
    I'll look into it.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content