Harry Potter A New Fate Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harry Potter A New Fate Forums

The public forums for HPANF.

4 posters

Books and Spells

Jace
    1st Year
    1st Year

Books and Spells Empty Books and Spells

Post  Jace Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:15 pm

So I assume that at this point you already have a system for how spells and books will work but I figured I could post this anyway, and maybe parts could be considered or at least start conversation.

The idea behind my book/spell system is that I really don't like the idea of pushing a read-book macro. For me it is not fun and not productive, but maybe others will disagree.

How books could work:

1) Choose a book:
    a. Charms for First Years
    b. Transfiguration for First Years
    c. DADA First Years
    d. Potions

2)List of spells to learn from each book
    a. Incendio
    b. Reductio
    c. Diffindo

3) Choose the level of the lesson
    a. Beginner
    b. Intermefiate
    c. Expert
    d. Master

So lets say you choose DADA, Incendio
    beginner- You have learned the DADA spell incendio which will do 1x your level in damage and uses 20MP.
    Intermediate- The game's keeper has agreed to help you with this spell but first he needs you to kill 30 bowtruckles in his yard
    *Player kills 30 bowtruckles
    Congratulations incendio now does 1.5x your level in damage and uses 15MP
    Expert- Professor Lavitz has agreed you to help after you remove 50 blast ended skrewts running around the gardens
    *Player kills 50
    Congratulation your incendio now does 2x your level in damage and uses 10MP
    Master- In order to master this spell of fire you must travel deep into the Forbidden Forest and find the eternal fire. Learn from it and you will master it
    *Go on some quest/ adventure
    Congratulations your incendio now does 3x your level in damage an uses 10MP

Then the quest book/outline/guide? can have
    -Book 1 (60%)
    Spell A (1/4)
    Spell B (3/4)
    Spell C (2/4) or Maybe Spell C (Intermediate)
    Spell D (4/4)

- Book 2 (30%)
    - Book 3 (20%)
    - Year 1 Quests (4/9)
    - Secret Quests (1/5)

Again I know that the quests seem to be HP and MP driven which you don't like but I am sure there are other ways to improve a spells quality. Time effective, Tiles taken up, colors etc. Or maybe the point is to create your own spell?

Thanks for reading

Rotem
    1st Year
    1st Year

Books and Spells Empty Re: Books and Spells

Post  Rotem Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:03 pm

Yea we do have a plan for spells but every time I reply to suggestions people just ignore me.
    I figured I'd say whatever I can so people don't feel ignored but now I feel that.

So I am going to just ignore people;s suggestions now, if I reply you guys tend to feel worse.
    Jace
    1st Year
    1st Year

Post  Jace Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:11 pm

I replied to your last response... and If you are going to ignore everyone's suggestions then you probably shouldn't have a suggestions section lol

Maybe you should post topics you would like input on so people know what to discuss. Unless you don't want input on anything, and then again just delete the section.
    Rotem
    1st Year
    1st Year

Post  Rotem Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:40 pm

Oh, I am still not used to this forum system, I haven't noticed you replied, it made me feel ignored Sad

ANYHOW, NOW THAT I DON'T FEEL IGNORED.

Basically for spells we're gonna do something samilier to potions/TES games.

Spell creation system where people can basically make a spell and once they do they get to master the spell.
    You'll be able to improve your skill with the spell until it's mastered.

As for creation part.
    Right now I am thinking of having a mixture of effects, spell type(AoE, projectile, 123123 different types I can think of right now), power, element, etc.

You'd mix those things by using rare item drops or knowledge gained from books/classes/experience.

I am still pondering about it, this is going to be easy now that we've converted spells but I suppose it needs a bit more planning.

Just imagine you get to try out plenty of spell creation possibilities them you master them.

I recall Severus saying players play until everything is explored, if the game gets constantly updated and we actually pull those tricks off, I'm thinking there will be plenty of content to actually explore.
    Skystone
    Skystone
    3rd Year
    3rd Year

Post  Skystone Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:21 pm

No offense Jace, but killing monsters constantly is extremely boring. Adventuring through a place is fun though.

Another thing, I don't really enjoy the idea of having different incendios and other spells (alohomora and colloportus are a good exception though), I think it should just be plain and simple. That's just me though...
    Link
    1st Year
    1st Year

Post  Link Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:17 am

Exploring places isn't fun unless there's obstructions which you need to bypass in order to get to these new areas. Like a level 4 locked door, you'd have to get to level 4 Alohomora to be able to get in. There are other examples but that one is the most simple!

Players like a challenge so it's best to challenge them at every turn. Smile
    Rotem
    1st Year
    1st Year

Post  Rotem Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:25 am

I would love puzzles.

Imagine exploring some ruins solving puzzles / killing monsters / unlocking secrets.
    Jace
    1st Year
    1st Year

Post  Jace Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:29 am

skystone- the point wasn't to spam kill monsters at every turn it is just about making the gameplay fun and interesting. As Rotem and Link said I would like challenges and puzzles for the players.
    Skystone
    Skystone
    3rd Year
    3rd Year

Post  Skystone Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:26 pm

Yeah, that would be good then.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 10:30 pm